To screen for oral disease including cancer or pre-cancerous spots, our office uses the technology of VELscope VX. It is a hand held device that emits a safe blue light into the oral cavity. The VELscope makes visualization possible by enhancing the contrast between normal and abnormal tissue. The VELscope offers a way to accurately find an area of abnormal tissue at a stage that is readily treatable.
Just the Facts:
- Over 43,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral cancer this year
- Oral cancer kills 1 person per hour
- Survivor rate is less than 50%
- Oral cancer is deadlier than other cancers including cervical, thyroid and skin
Leading Causes of Oral Cancer:
- HPV16, the same virus responsible for over 90% of cervical cancers
- Tobacco and alcohol use
Signs and Symptoms of Oral Cancer:
- A white or red patch of tissue in the mouth which looks like a canker sore
- A lump or mass that can be felt inside the mouth or on the outside of the neck
- A wart like mass
- Numbness in the mouth or face
- Pain or difficulty swallowing, speaking, or chewing
We believe that early detection saves lives and truly hope that VELscope VX will make a mark in the world of oral cancer. When found early, oral cancer’s 5-year survival rate is approximately 80-90 percent; when found late, that number drops to around 20-30 percent.
Make an appointment for your oral screening today at 419.475.3494.